Lesson 1, Topic 3
Vibrations & Waves: Energy and Motion
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES
- Waves can vary in size. They are measured by the distance between two adjacent peaks or crest.
- Wavelength is measured in nanometers (nm).
- The frequency of a wave is based on the number of cycles that will pass through space in one second.
- Frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz). The number of waves divided by the number of seconds.
- Frequency is inversely proportional to wavelength.
(ie. longer wavelength = lower frequency)
Vibrations and Waves